Latest News from Liverpool FC

Monday 25 March 2013

News Media Watch from Liverpool FC: Sky Sports: Owen ready to be an agent

News Media Watch from Liverpool FC
The Media Watch from Liverpool FC // via fulltextrssfeed.com
Sky Sports: Owen ready to be an agent
Mar 25th 2013, 16:31

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

 

Michael Owen spoke exclusively to Sky Sports News and underlined his ambition to become a football agent.

The former England international was speaking a week after announcing that he would retire from football at the end of the season.

As he already holds significant horse-racing connections, many thought Owen would simply submerge himself in equine sport, but he insists that football remains his main passion.

"There are two main things I want to do, both in football. That is what I know, that is what I am good at, and I like to think I know what I am talking about," the Stoke striker told Sky Sports News.

"Firstly, in the media, I would like to do some TV work, maybe write blogs and different things media-related. The second would be to set up a management business that predominately looks after younger players, and see them throughout their career to take them from the start.

"It is a tough world and a tough sport and there are plenty of pitfalls and I think I would be good at passing on my advice.

"I have to say I was managed pretty well, and was really pleased with my agent. Agent is a scary word but they are a necessity for certain things in football and it is important you get the right one. I think there is a gap in the market for me and I think I can do well."

Owen, who began his career with Liverpool before spells with Real Madrid, Newcastle and Manchester United, confirmed that he first decided to quit football some months ago.

"It has been coming for a while and before Christmas I knew this would be my last season," he admitted.

"I signed for Stoke at the start of the season and really wanted to have a good year and play on further but it has not quite happened and I wanted to go out at the top of the Premier League. It has been coming a while, but I am pleased with the decision."

He admits the highlight of his career was probably in 2001 when he was named European Player of the Year.

"My whole career is something I could not have dreamed of when I was a youngster and it has taken me to some of the best clubs in the world. It has been a fantastic career, and early on in my career was probably the high. When I won European Player of the Year, that was pretty special when I look back," he said.

At 33, Owen admits he could continue playing, but he is not keen to play beneath the top level.

"I have no doubt I could keep playing but it would not be at the level I would want, once you have played at the highest level it is difficult to drop down," he admitted.

"Many injuries took their toll and robbed me of my most lethal asset which was my pace early on. Some of those injuries hurt me - but I am proud of playing at the highest level at the death."

Source: Sky Sports

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment