Latest News from Liverpool FC

Monday 5 August 2013

News Media Watch from Liverpool FC: Echo: 'Thank you for your support'

News Media Watch from Liverpool FC
The Media Watch from Liverpool FC // via fulltextrssfeed.com 
Echo: 'Thank you for your support'
Aug 5th 2013, 07:49

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Steven Gerrard today thanked Liverpool FC fans for helping him raise more than £1million from his testimonial as he admitted: "I was blown away by the support."

The Reds skipper's foundation will distribute the funds from Saturday's game against Olympiacos and the gala dinner to a range of children's charities across Merseyside and further afield.

"It was an amazing day," Gerrard said.

"The reception 45,000 fans gave me at Anfield was unbelievable. I was blown away by the support.

"The atmosphere was great and it was emotional. I was holding back at times.

"To share it with my three little girls, family and close mates, who have followed me from when I was a young lad, was special.

"The fans have always been behind me from day one. I can't thank everyone enough for their generosity.

"The foundation will be able to use the money we've raised to help a lot of kids who are in bad situations. It will make a big difference.

"My name is attached to the foundation but it's not just about me. There are some great people working for it.

"The testimonial had been a year in the planning and I'm very grateful to have had that network of support. It went perfectly."

The final amount raised has yet to be confirmed but is expected to be in excess of £1.4million.

Singer Chris de Burgh and comedian John Bishop provided the entertainment for around 1,000 guests at Gerrard's testimonial dinner at the BT Convention Centre on Saturday night.

The foundation's coffers were boosted by a £100,000 donation from Olympiacos club president Evangelos Marinakis. The Greek champions had already donated their match fee to charities in their homeland.

"It was an amazing gesture and I'm very grateful," Gerrard said.

"I need to give a huge thank you to all the Olympiacos team and staff for coming over and giving us a good test. They were brilliant."

Before kick-off both teams formed a guard of honour as Gerrard emerged from the tunnel accompanied by his daughters Lilly-Ella, Lexie and Lourdes.

"It's probably one of the best feelings I've ever had," he said.

"They are the most important people to me so to walk out with them and to share that moment was special.

"I'll never ever forget that. It will go right up there alongside all the big trophies I've won."

Goals from Joe Allen and Jordan Henderson secured the Reds' fifth successive pre-season victory and Gerrard believes Brendan Rodgers' squad are in good shape.

"We're a lot fitter than we were at this stage last year," he said.

"I'm really pleased with the boys so far. We haven't conceded a goal and we're creating bundles of chances.

"There are still a couple of friendlies to go, but everyone has got their eyes on Stoke. We're really focused.

"The new signings are settling well and hopefully there are one or two more in the coming weeks."

Source: Liverpool Echo

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment