Latest News from Liverpool FC

Wednesday 25 September 2013

News Media Watch from Liverpool FC: Echo: Kenny will never forget return

News Media Watch from Liverpool FC
The Media Watch from Liverpool FC // via fulltextrssfeed.com 
Exotic travel ideas.

Searching for your next vacation destination? Subscribe to Off The Beaten Path, a newsletter featuring captivating locales to help you to plan your next trip.
From our sponsors
Echo: Kenny will never forget return
Sep 25th 2013, 09:59

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Kop legend Kenny Dalglish will be reminded of a special moment in his Liverpool FC career when the Reds take to the field at Old Trafford tonight.

The Reds great returned to the manager's hot-seat in January 2011 to replace the sacked Roy Hodgson.

And his first game back was across the East Lancs Road against Manchester United in the FA Cup third round.

In 'Kenny Dalglish - My Life' the three-time European Cup winner says the reception he received that day is something he will never forget.

"In 2011 I got the call I thought would never come that would take me back to Anfield as Liverpool manager," Dalglish said.

"My first game was at Old Trafford in the FA Cup and the Liverpool fans gave me a wonderful welcome back.

"The unfortunate thing for me was somebody got the sack for me to get the opportunity.

"I really admire Roy Hodgson and was sorry that it didn't work out the way everybody hoped it would.

"When I was asked to return it was a no-brainer. I was back as Liverpool manager. I had left Liverpool in the middle of a season, so I went back to finish another one off."

And his unique relationship with the club's supporters was highlighted in a Premier League game against their bitter rivals a couple of months into his second reign as Liverpool boss.

"I always had a good rapport with the Liverpool supporters," Dalglish added.

"I have always tried my very best for Liverpool, as a player and a manager.

"At the end of the day, we are fulfilling a dream for the supporters by playing for the club or managing the club. We've got to respect that.

"We've got to ensure that. We've got to ensure that nobody ever takes their support for granted.

"I never did as a player and I never did as a manager. If I've got a special place in the heart of the fans, well that's reciprocal.

"One incident that stands out in my memory is when we beat Manchester United 3-1 at Anfield in March 2011 a few days after my 60th birthday.

"The fans started singing 'Happy Birthday To You' when we were 3-0 up. Fergie said: "I didn't know it was your birthday." I answered: "It isn't!"

Dalglish, meanwhile, insists the history of his old Liverpool shirt should not burden whoever wears it - but says they should give nothing but their very best.

Dalglish pulled on the famous top when he replaced Reds hero Kevin Keegan in 1977 and went on to become one of the true greats at Anfield.

Luis Suarez is the club's current number seven and manager Brendan Rodgers says his return to action against Manchester United tonight is the "perfect tonic".

And in a new book about his life and career, King Kenny says players should not feel any extra pressure by wearing the famous shirt.

"I was handed Kevin's famous number seven shirt when I joined Liverpool," he said. "Yes, it's a special number at Anfield because the likes of Ian Callaghan also wore it, but any shirt should not be a noose around the neck of the person wearing it because of the greats that went before. It should be an honour to wear it.

"The Liverpool number seven shirt is not heavier than any of the others. That's your number, do your best, be yourself. It will live on forever."

Paisley words of wisdom were so vital

Kenny Dalglish has reserved special praise for Bob Paisley and his impact on the double winning season of 1986.

In his first campaign as player-manager, Dalglish guided the Reds to the League title and FA Cup glory - a new milestone for the club.

But he said there was no way he could have done it without Paisley's words of wisdom.

"When we beat Everton at Wembley in 1986 it was a landmark moment for Liverpool FC - our first ever league and FA Cup double," Dalglish said in 'My Life'.

"Of course, I will never forget the finale to my season as player-manager but the day was particularly special because old Bob was there to enjoy it.

"He didn't want to take any of the credit or the limelight but we were all so proud that he was with us.

"Bob would do anything for me and it was a wonderful thing to have him around when I was asked to become Liverpool's player-manager in 1985.

"He talked to players and gave them advice. It was great that I knew he was there."

Bruges goal was 'nothing special'

Kenny Dalglish claims his European Cup winning goal in 1978 was nothing special.

The Liverpool legend produced a fabulous chipped effort to score the only goal against Bruges at Wembley.

Dalglish's goal handed the Reds their second European title but the Scot, who signed for the club that season, says the goal was very simple.

In his new book 'Kenny Dalglish - My Life' he said: "My goal against Bruges at Wembley in the 1978 European Cup final wasn't that difficult really.

"As soon as I went through and was one on one with the goalie I knew what I was going to do.

"Before that goal, when Terry Mac went through, the keeper went down early so I knew he was going to go to ground. It was up to me then.

"I knew what he was going to do and it was just as well I knew what I was going to do because we only won 1-0."

Source: Liverpool Echo

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment