Latest News from Liverpool FC

Thursday 24 October 2013

News Media Watch from Liverpool FC: Sky Sports: 'I can get forward more'

News Media Watch from Liverpool FC
The Media Watch from Liverpool FC // via fulltextrssfeed.com 
Manage your social media

Best social media tool for image publishing to Facebook and Twitter. Look amazing and delight your followers. Get 40% off when you sign up today.
From our sponsors
Sky Sports: 'I can get forward more'
Oct 24th 2013, 09:10

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard insists he still has a lot to offer as an attacking midfielder despite changing his style of play.

Gerrard has adapted his game to a more defensive midfield role at Anfield since Brendan Rodgers took charge.

The 33-year-old, who scored his 100th Premier League goal against Newcastle last weekend, claims the recent switch to a 3-4-1-2 system has allowed him to push further forward, but that he now decides when to make his attacking surges.

"I can get forward slightly more in this formation knowing that I have got three defenders behind me," Gerrard said.

"In general, whether the system changed or not, I have spoken to Brendan and he wants me to pick and choose my runs.

"Everybody understands that I'm not 21 anymore where I can burst into the box at every opportunity. With experience, I hope I can pick the right times for those bursts.

"I'm not going to become an out-and-out holding midfielder just yet.

"With the goal against Poland, I saw the opportunity late on and still had the energy to burst into the box and managed to get a toe on to it and settle everybody's nerves.

"Hopefully I have a few more of those in the locker before I become an out-and-out holding midfielder.

"Slowly with time I will adapt my game and maybe become a controlling midfielder.

"Certainly, for the remainder of this season I am still going to try and pick my runs to get forward into the box.

"I'll honestly and openly admit I'm not 21 anymore and I haven't got those energy levels where I can go forward every single time." 

Source: Sky Sports

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment